Frequently Asked Questions

What is acceptable personal identification for any motor vehicle or operator Service?

Examples of acceptable identification is as follows:

  • Primary (photo)
  • Current Operators Licence
  • Indian Status ID Card
  • Citizenship Certificate
  • Valid Passport
  • FAC (Firearms Card) Non Primary (non-photo)
  • Original Birth or Marriage Certificate
  • Documents Issued by Immigration
  • Major Credit Card (signed)

You will be required to produce either, 2 primary, 1 primary and 1 secondary, or 2 secondary ID's (one must contain the birth date), every time you do an operator (driver license) service. 1 piece is acceptable for most other motor vehicle services. If you have any questions regarding identification please give us a call.


What do I need to bring with me to register my new vehicle?

You must provide proof of ownership (Bill of Sale), valid insurance and acceptable ID. If the vehicle is leased you must provide a lease agreement. If the vehicle is new you also need to produce the NVIS (New Vehicle Information Statement).

The person registering a vehicle must be the same person shown on the Bill of Sale or previous registration and insurance card. If you want to use an existing license plate, the owner of the plate must also be the same.

If the names are not all the same, a Letter of Authorization must accompany the service request.


I’ve bought a vehicle from another province. What do I need to register it?

Firstly, you will need to bring proof of ownership (Bill of Sale) of the vehicle you would like to register to obtain an Out of Province inspection request.


Do I need an appointment to write my learners exam?

No, you can write at any time between 9:00 am – 5:30 pm Monday through Friday and Saturday 9:00 am to 1:30 pm. If you are under 18 years of age, you must bring one of your parents or legal guardian for the first time to sign the Parental Consent form Please note that not all services can be done with an Authorization Letter. Please call to confirm. The stamped consent form can be used on subsequent visits. You will need to present either a birth certificate or passport and a secondary piece of id (alberta health care, school id). All identification must be the originals no faxes or photocopies.


I think I have some outstanding fines. Can I pay them there?

Yes – You can pay current and overdue fines at our Registry. We do charge $9.45 for each fine paid. To pay a current fine, you must bring in the original yellow ticket. current Notice of Conviction, or an Offence Notice (must indicated Part 3) in the lower right corner.


If I can’t come in to do a service, can I send someone in my place?

You can send someone in your place with a Letter of Authorization. This letter must be specific to the service, and requires a date, signature, your name and a detailed description of what you want done. Please note that not all services can be done with an Authorization Letter. Please call to confirm.


Can I come in and get an abstract for my spouse?

A person’s abstract is confidential. A Drivers Abstract Consent is required for you to obtain an abstract for anyone but yourself. The person bringing in the Abstract Consent will be required to present identification and will be required to fill out a Driver Abstract Statement of Intent.


What methods of payment do you accept?

We accept cash, cheque or debit for all services except overdue fines. Overdue fines must be paid by cash, debit or certified cheque.


What is the difference between a lien search and a vehicle information report?

A vehicle information report is the most complete report available on a vehicle. It tells you the description of the vehicle, the status of the vehicle, if the vehicle has ever been in a salvage state, the salvage date, how many times and where a vehicle has been registered in Alberta, if the vehicle has any liens and how many. A lien search tells you if any liens have been registered in Alberta against the specific serial number and who the debtor and secured parties are.


My driver’s licence expired. Do I need to take the road test again?

If it has been less than 3 years since you last renewed, all you need to do is renew your license, without penalty. If it has been more than 3 years, you will have to take the knowledge and road test again. Proof of residency and legal presence in Canada will be required as well.